Saturday, November 8, 2008

Parents' Creed

I'm sure you've all read this at one time or another, but I just love it so much, I thought it was worth a repeat:

PARENTS' CREED

If a child lives with criticism - she learns to condemn.
If a child lives with hostility -she learns to fight.
If a child lives with ridicule - she learns to be shy.
If a child lives with shame - she learns to feel guilty.

If a child lives with tolerance -she learns to be patient.
If a child lives with encouragement - she learns confidence.
If a child lives with praise - she learns to appreciate.
If a child lives with fairness -she learns justice.
If a child lives with security - she learns to have faith.
If a child lives with approval - she learns to like herself.
If a child lives with acceptance and friendship - she learns to find love in the world.

You probably know I adopted my goddaughter who had been thrown into the foster care system for over 5 years. Her parents finally lost their parental rights and that cleared the way for me to adopt her. I love that kid so much!

BUT, she had really had an awful life. To be only fifteen, she has already had to deal with abandonment, rejection, insecurity, as well as physical, mental, and yes, even sexual abuse. She was a beautiful, happy, inspirational little girl until this terrible situation. She doesn't even cry anymore! She had become so "hard-hearted" and distrustful.

It has taken a year for her to get back to trusting me and we were extremely close. I have been her godmother all of her 15 years of life! She had been led to believe that she was undesirable, worthless, and a burden - that was why none of her relatives or any foster parents wanted her to live with them.

She couldn't have been more wrong! I wasn't a relative nor a (licensed) foster parent, but I wanted her! I fought like hell for her! I made promises to do all I could to see that she has a good life.

Slowly, but surely, trying to use the Parents' Creed as a guide, she is coming around! I see good things ahead for my daughter!

No comments: