Monday, August 11, 2008

I Got the House! Yea! Now what? Oh, Yeah, Ugh!

So, Folks, I got that fantastic house highlighted in my previous post! I really have a good feeling about it - I hope my feeling-radar is working right and it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt!

BUT! (Isn't there always a 'BUT'?) now comes the "making-it-ready-to-move-in" phase! I didn't realize how many little things bug me! Like, for instance, new or not new - I hate carpet! I mean, good grief! I have pets! End of story! I yanked up the carpet in one bedroom today - to my great surprise, there were hardwood floors beneath! Hurray! BUT (Here we go again with the 'BUT') someone had, in all their drunken glory, thought it would be a good idea to paint it white! Okay, that might have been okay had they finished it! Maybe they changed their mind a fourth of the way through!

Still, I'm not going to let that get to me! I decided, rather than spend a whole bunch of money having them stripped and refinished, yep, you guessed it, I will finish what they started. BUT, (hee-hee-hee) I am going to paint the floor black. How 'bout that? After all, my color pallette (to coin a phrase from HGTV) is black, white, brown, and pale blue, pale blue being the color of the walls. Ought to look pretty good, I think.

So, let me tell you what all has to be done before we move in THIS WEEKEND! My bathroom is a mess! It needs major wall work and to switch the position of the vanity sink with the toilet. Who the he** puts their toilet as the first thing in the door? Isn't that weird? The sink is next to the tub and the toilet is next to the door! And, guess what? There was carpet (notice I said 'was') in the bathroom - when I ripped it up, there was gorgeous marble tile beneath!

The bathroom in the other end of the house has no tub - only a sink & toilet, no mirror, no medicine cabinet, and they sit off to one side of the utility room, where the washer and dryer go! So, we're going to install a tub and put a portable-type wall around it. After we add some lighting and a mirror or two and a door of some sort, it ought to be quite fine.

There are a couple other minor things to be done, put up a ceiling fan, change the kitchen cabinets' hardware and throw a coat of paint on my bedrooms' dull ugly yellow walls (I got 3 gallons of already tinted blue-gray satin finish paint & primer combo off the clearance rack tonight at Wal-Mart!) Short of having the moving company bring everything over, we're going to be good to go when school starts on Monday. Talk about cutting it close, though, huh?!

Thanks for listening. Hey, if you have any ideas, suggestions, or advice, why don't you let me know - I'm game! I could use all the help I could get!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love all the beautiful woodwork !
And tons of built in cabinets and shelves , thats so awesome .
Go hit the clearance racks at home depot , and even browse the aisles , you can always find fixtures and stuff marked down ridiculously cheap .
And also paint , theyre clearance paint ( called oops paint) is $5 a gallon or $1 a quart , i always buy every quart they have , for projects for me and the kids , we have tons lol .
So what was the decision about the septic ?
i can vouch for the fact that they are a pain in the @ss , if at all possible get rid of it .