1. Keep Tidy Cat kitty litter handy, especially if your area is prone to get snow or ice, in case your car becomes stuck. Tidy Cat provides excellent traction - just keep a bag in your trunk and when needed, pour under your tires. You can also sprinkle it on your driveways and sidewalks.
2. To make kids' clothing flame retardant, mix 9 ounces of 20 Mule Team Borax and 4 ounces of boric acid in 1 gallon of water. Soak the item after the rinse cycle and then allow to dry. If it's not washable, spray the solution on the item. NOTE: you may have to reapply after each washing though - but it IS recommended by fire fighting authorities.
3. Eating plain Uncle Ben's Converted Brand Rice will help cure diarrhea. This idea is promoted by the popular health magazine, Prevention.
4. You can help eliminate the pungent odor of fresh paint by mixing two teaspoons of McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract per 1 gallon of paint.
5. In order to keep outdoor lightbulbs from sticking in the fixtures, rub a thin coat of Vaseline petroleum jelly on the threads before screwing them in.
6. If you need to get crayon off a chalkboard, simply cover with a Viva Ultra paper towel and press with a warm iron. The iron will melt the crayon wax and the towel will absorb it.
7. To prevent squirrels from invading your birdhouse, spray WD-40 on the poles, wires, and entrance. (The birds don't slip because they're lighter.)
8. Another WD-40 marvel is to use it to coat your trash cans with it to keep dogs, maggots, and flies out.
9. You can make bubble bath by mixing 2 cups of Wesson Corn Oil, 3 tablespoons of liquid shampoo, and 1/4th teaspoon of your favorite fragrance. Mix at high speed in a blender. Enjoy!
10. Hang a Wilson Tennis Ball on a string from your garage ceiling so it will hit the windshiled at the exact spot you should be stopping when pulling your car in the garage.
11. Did you know that you can ball up tightly a small piece of Wonder Bread (crusts removed) and use it just as you would a regular eraser? (NOTE: I haven't tried this, but I find it awfully hard to believe! Let me know if you prove it one way or the other!)
12. Believe it or not, you can polish brass with Worcestershire Sauce!
13. If you briefly chew a piece of Wrigley's Spearmint Gum, you can then use it as bait on your fishing line.
14. When you can't remove your showerhead or faucet to clean it, simply fill a Ziploc Storage bag with vinegar and secure it in place with a rubberband overnight.
15. Camouflage stained grout by painting it with Liquid Paper.
- I got these from a book called Magic Brands by Joey Green.